Reporting to the Managing Director Marine, the General Manager is responsible for leading the day to day running of the business, ensuring that all operations are effective, efficient and safe. The emphasis is on continuous improvement to ensure the highest quality guest service and experience whilst promoting a culture where staff are both engaged and motivated.
Direct Manager: Managing Director, Marine
Direct Reports: Management Team
Indirect Reports: Regional Sales Manager
- Rottnest Express Management Team
- On water and land based Operations Teams
- Journey Beyond Executive team
- Journey Beyond General Managers, Revenue, Marketing and BD teams
- HR, Finance and IT Teams (local and group)
- Guests and general public
- Terminal owners/management
- Destination authorities and operators
- Peak industry bodies
- Regulators and licencing agencies
- Government Agencies
- The consistent delivery of the business’s products with the highest standards that ensures the business is recognised as a market leader in marine tourism and guest experiences.
- Continued growth of market share for the business.
- Annual business plans developed, implemented and delivered in full and on time.
- A high performing culture that is motivated, engaged with an ethos of delivering the best possible guest experience at all times.
- Achieving or exceeding the financial objectives of the business.
- Effective planning and management of the business’s vessels that demonstrates minimal downtown through efficient and effective proactive and reactive maintenance planning.
- The seamless implementation of immersive and unique experiences across the designated destinations as developed by the product team.
- Successful, well cultivated relationships with key stakeholders and other operators deriving mutual benefit.
- Sustained improvement in results from staff surveys showing a focus on the development, optimisation and management of all human resources.
- Successfully implemented of the project management framework demonstrating an embedded culture of continuous improvement.
- Collaborate with internal key stakeholders to develop and implement an operations plan to ensure scheduling/timetables and total operations meet product requirements, financial objectives and other business objectives as required.
- Lead, develop, manage and mentor the management team. Clearly and regularly communicate the vision, mission and business plan objectives.
- Set the tone for the cultural premise of high performance, lead the development and retention of key talent, implementation of HR programs and prompt and effective management of poor performance.
- Prepare and submit annual budgets and periodic forecasting as request.
- Prepare and submit monthly management reports as required on time and in full.
- In conjunction with internal key stakeholders develop and submit annual capex plans with a focus on optimising assets.
- In conjunction with the Maintenance Manager ensure planned and efficient delivery of the fleet maintenance program.
- Identify and manage internal and external risks, both operational and financial, within the corporate risk framework and contribute to the development of risk mitigation strategies.
- Ensure crews are appropriately trained and motivated to deliver the guest experience effectively.
- Ensure vessels, public areas and work areas are of the highest standard of presentation at all times.
- Manage asset logistics including procurement, provisioning, cleaning and staff rostering.
- Ensure effective management of costs to meet annual expenditure budget including oversee of inventory management and cash handling protocols.
- Manage and ensure safety and compliance requirements to the relevant statutory and regulatory bodies (AMSA, DOT, RIA, DPWL).
- Ensure timely and effective safety and adverse event reporting and management.
- Actively participate in meetings and group wide activities and projects as required.
Diploma, Degree or significant experience in management/operations/business or hospitality
5-10 years experience in similar role of similar size and scope
Preferred experience in industry or similar
Proven experience in leading and developing people
Strong communication and interpersonal skills
Proven experience in developing and executive business plans
Resilient, reliable and self motivated
An agent for change and continuous improvement
A collegiate and collaborative working style
Unwavering attention to detail
Proven problem solving and decision making skills